Friday, August 13, 2010

Friday August 13, 2010 Enid Oklahoma

Well, today is a special day for me. 56 years ago this date I entered Providence College of Nursing in Oakland California, three years which were to have changed and shaped my entire life. Sadly, some of the people who meant the most to me are now gone, my room mate Cathy, my bridesmaid Betsy, and my other bridesmaid Helen has altzheimers. BUT, I have a very good friend left from nursing school, Mary Jo Lamey Krinock who remembered the date believe it or not and sent me an e-mail!

This morning dad decided that he wanted to head west to my dad's home town. So, off we went across two states and we got here in time to go to the cemetery and to his old home site. Kids, for the future, if you ever get here...the cemetery is on West Willow Avenue. The grave sites are on the left as you drive in the main driveway. Mollie, John Ross, and my dad are right up front about 5 rows back....you can spot the headstone as it is made in the shape of a tree stump about 5 feet tall. My great grandparents are down the same drive way about 75 yards further behind a big tree in the second row behind a Johnson headstone. Dad and I had their headstone propped up a few years ago as it was falling over. The same time, we had my dad's memorial headstone put on his mother's grave site and added his dad's name to it as he never had a headstone. So, now they are all marked.

Tomorrow we're going to go and try and find dad's high school which was built in 1910and still is in use to this date. The kids start back August 25th. The little lady behind the motel desk tonight is going there and will be a senior this year. She remembers seeing the class photos from the years past...my dad's is there in the class of 1925. IT'S AMAZING TO ME THAT THEY STILL ALLOW A BUILDING OF THAT AGE TO BE IN USE FOR 1400 STUDENTS IN 2010. That probably would not happen in earthquake prone California.

No comments: